Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Coffee Table Book

Have I mentioned my new love for photo books? I have been avoiding digital scrapbooking because I think it looks cheesy. Ribbons and brads are meant to add texture. Using a scan of a ribbon just defeats the whole purpose. In fact, I have always been trying to make my scrapbook pages look more like magazine layouts. I finally found the solution. Photo books. I have made photo books before, but I've felt limited by the selection of pre-made templates. It recently occured to me that I could just design my pages in photoshop and save them as their own jpgs. Thus giving me complete creative control to make my albums just my style. I tested my theory by creating an 8 1/2 x 11 album of my Italy trip. It's not perfect yet, but I loved the process of designing my simple layouts on a photoshop canvas and then saving it as a jpg. Then I just used the Shutterfly program to drop the photos into the book. It's perfect. Don't worry; This isn't the end of my scrapbooking days, though. I have enough holes to fill in from previous albums to keep me busy for quite some time.

4 comments:

Staci said...

Simply Amazing! Want to do my Spain trip?

Sara said...

I love it AMy.. I am about ready to get going on my blurb book for my family blog. That is going to have to suffice for my fam albums fow now. I would love to know more about how you created your layouts in photoshop.

seesaw designs said...

I need to make a photo book... just overwhelmed with the amount of photos I have to go through!

The Seaquist Family said...

OK Amy that is so awesome! I love it. I have considered doing the same thing in Photoshop, but have yet to tackle it. I think that is the reason I haven't done my blog books yet. YOu ended up using Shutterfly? How did you know the dimensions of the pages? Let me know if you can. It is beautiful!